Subaru’s Confidence in Motion concept car has turned out to be a preview of the next-gen Impreza, as rumoured recently. They’ve even called it the Impreza Concept. The car was revealed recently at the LA Auto Show.
Unlike what most of us presumed though, there is no trick hybrid drivetrain underneath the concept car’s body. It’s just a 2.0L, four-cylinder Boxer engine, sending power to all four wheels.
While the interior and rims probably won’t be heading for production, the exterior design is what might carryover to thew next Impreza. Moreover, the car’s exterior colour, Sky Silver, is under consideration for use on next-gen Subarus.
There’s more info available in the press release after the gallery.
FHI Introduces the “SUBARU IMPREZA CONCEPT” as the World Premiere
– To Embody Subaru’s New Brand Statement –
Tokyo, November 18, 2010 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI) unveiled the “Subaru Impreza Concept” today at the Los Angeles Auto Show (Press day: November 17 and 18; Open to the public from November 19 through 28 in the United States).
The Subaru Impreza Concept is the first concept model to be released under Subaru’s new brand strategy. Designed to show a possible direction for future Impreza models, it embodies the Subaru brand statement “Confidence in Motion”. The concept expresses the core Subaru brand value of “enjoyment and peace of mind”. The Subaru Impreza Concept fuses a sleek and lean form that exudes dynamism and elegance with a roomy and rich four-seat interior that embodies a safe and comfortable ride.
The movie of the concept car is available on the Subaru Global Site.
– “Dynamic flow and Confident stance” are the concepts underlying the exterior design. The car suggests an advanced Subaru design by using a sporty and lively four-door coupe style.
– The car’s A-pillar stretches forward, combined with a strong C-pillar design, to give the car a roomy cabin and also very good aerodynamic performance in a sleek silhouette which suggests an image of future Impreza. These elements are boldly concentrated in the rear half of the body, and this resulted in a four-door model that also presents a stylish and powerful form.
– The distinctive wheel arches distinguish this as an All-Wheel Drive (AWD) model while emphasizing the image of powerful Subaru driving and also denoting reliability and safety.
– The front design stresses that this car is a Subaru with a low-and-wide stance that evokes reliability, security, and safety. Another feature is the hexagon grille with its central wings, serving as the identity for a new generation of Subaru automobiles.
– The three-dimensional structure of the front face and engine hood surround a hexagonal form that powerfully increases the presence of this concept car. Seen in combination with the traditional hawk eye-style headlights and fin-shaped fog lamps, the striking design presents a front face instantly recognizable as a Subaru.
– The rear design is harmonious the rest of the car and includes a hexagonal garnish that seems to project outward from the center. The rear lights create a sharp impression. The interior of the lighting is very unique, and is layered with gradation effects to give a strong impression of depth.
– The signature Subaru Impreza Concept style is captured in the car’s profile, including the door panels and character line, where Subaru designers have used simple and clean lines and surfaces. This contrasts with the powerful fender design and results in a lean side view. The side character lines join up with the rear combination lamps to form a vigorous wedge shape pointed rearwards, showing how vibrant this car is.
– The high-luster silver aluminum wheels use a 10-spoke design consisting of five sturdy spokes that evokes the powerful AWD driving experience and five thin spokes that evoke the lightness of the Impreza. Carbon fins garnish the circumference of the spokes, demonstrating their brake-cooling performance.
– The exterior color is “Sky Sliver”. This bluish sliver suggests an airplane in flight and stands as a proposal for a silver to be used on the next generation of Subaru automobiles.
– The concept for the interior design is embedded in the words, “Dynamic, Enticing, Secure”. The enjoyment and peace of mind of a Subaru is expressed in an interior space that evokes dynamic flow shared with the exterior design.
– The roomy four-seat layout enfolds occupants with comfort and peace of mind. The platinum-leather was chosen to fit in with the interior motif and give passengers the impression of urbanity. Great care was taken with the detail design. Dark blue piping and double stitching was used in the interior to give a sense of quality.
– The model features two colors of platinum-leather layering to give the interior of feeling of spaciousness and quality.
– A large multifunction display sits in the center panel. Three different displays – one each for navigation, car audio, and vehicle information are united in the design and touch panel technology expresses ease of use, functionality, and innovation, and also lends a playful touch. This richly appointed interior space combines information with entertainment, to further increase the pleasure of driving.
– For the steering wheel, a sporty, D-shaped spoke-type combines piano-black panels in center sections with a platinum-leather grip. A touch panel has been used on the steering wheel as well to allow stress-free use of various applications.
– The concept car features Subaru’s own advanced driving assist “EyeSight” system.
Overall Length × Width × Height (mm): 4,520 × 1,820 × 1,430
Wheelbase (mm): 2,640
Engine Type: New Generation Subaru Boxer engine (2.0-liter 4-sylinder Horizontally-Opposed engine)
Tires: 245/40 ZR19
Seating Capacity: 4